Hip replacement surgery is a relatively common procedure, and is often performed on elderly patients as the hip is easily fractured or broken as bone density decreases with age. During the surgery, damaged bone and cartilage is replaced with prosthetic components made of materials like metal, ceramic and plastic.
Similarly, knee replacement surgery also involves replacing damaged cartilage and bone with prosthetic components.
Both hip and knee replacement surgery may be recommended for one of the following reasons:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Post-traumatic arthritis
- Sport injuries
- Labral tears
- Cartilage delamination
PLEASE NOTE: W.R.T JOINT REPLACEMENT SURGERY:
This practice has agreements with the following schemes. There are no co-payments involved AND the surgery and admissions are guided by the applicable "joint replacement pathway".
- Life Healthcare Major Joints for Life program.
- MB Med
- Discovery Health Medical Scheme (E cludlng Key Care and Essential Smart),
- LA Health (Excluding Key Plus option
- Quantum (Excluding Key Plus option)
- Retail Medical Aid
- Tsogo Sun Group
- Bonnitas Medical Aid (Including Standard, Standard Select, Bon Classic, Bon Complete and Bon Comprehensive plans),
- Medshield (all options)
- MB Med
- Old Mutual
- Fedhealth (Including Flexifed 3, Flexifed 3 Grid, Flexifed 4, Flexifed 4 Grid, Flexifed 4 Elect, Fedhealth (Including Maxima Exec, Maxima Exec Grid and Maxima Plus)